Newtown Borough's station is located on Penn Street. Adjacent to the station is the new Toll Brothers "Newtown Station" development. The station was the final stop on the Reading Railroad's Newtown Line. In the railroad's original plans, the line was to continue to the north, but this expansion was never built. Newtown Station was built in 1873 and torn down in 1960. The new shelter was moved from Fairless Junction in 1976. The station was closed in February 1983.
SEPTA removed the historic Reading Company Newtown Station shelter sometime between 2003 and 2005, and is presumed destroyed (as was done to the historic County Line Station shelter). When service resumes on the R8 Newtown line in the future, a station in Newtown Borough will be highly desirable to local residents as it is accessible to many residents who will be able to walk to the station. A small parking lot may be retained for local borough residents only (by parking permit), and a driveway may exist for drop-offs. A larger station will be available 1 mile south on the Newtown Bypass, which will be for Lower Makefield and Newtown Township residents.